Snowy Range Pass

Snowy Range Pass

Saturday, November 05, 2011

Harvest Moon

















We do not talk much about the campgrounds we stay in. There is no particular reason for this, it just worked out that way. As we prepare to depart tomorrow for point south, we were discussing how much we really like the Harvest Moon RV Park here in Adairsville, Ga. This is one of the few places that we have returned over and over. The simple reason for this is that it is the best place we can find near our grandson.

Way back in 2006, we searched out the places we might stay and the closest was the KOA in Calhoun, GA. Now we generally are not KOA fans, but we gave it a try during our first stop here. It proved to be an absolute disaster. Since we were only months in to our adventure, we did not have the good sense to just turn around and leave. As we approached, we were greeted by a prison like sign with harsh words about condition s there. We pressed on and were greeted by a hostile staff but again, we continued on. Our site was small and very unlevel. Again being new at this I was worried about getting out already. We mentioned that we would be having our daughter come to see our new motorhome. That was okay but for the privilege of sitting in our motorhome she would have to pay $3 a person plus $5 for parking her car. The day of our departure was pouring rain and I was worried about making the tight turns. It turned out this was a valid concern , in that, the trees and a power pole at the far end of the park, where I was required to go, had sagged and were hanging over the road. It was the first and (so far) the only time I have had to disconnect the car to extract myself from a situation.

Anyways, the second place we tried was the Harvest Moon RV Park. It has very wide roads, great pull thru spots, full hookups including cable, WI FI, and laundry-all at no charge, and the cleanest we have come across. If you like movie theater popcorn, you can get all you want free in the office. The owner handles the office and is friendly and helpful. The one funny thing is; he does not use a computer and writes everything down in a notebook. Yet he has one of the best WI FI’s we have seen. In our five years on the road, this is definitely one of our top ten campgrounds.

This would make a great overnight spot as it is also very close the freeway.

17 comments:

Shirley said...

We stay at the Harvest Moon several times a year. Our son lives in Adairsville GA. It is definitely a well kept campground, and the pop corn is always good and fresh.

Kathy said...

I'll put this one on our list. Thanks for sharing! Blessings,K

Jim and Sandie said...

Thanks for the info. We avoid KOA's unless we have absolutely no other option.

Sue and Doug said...

you should be writing a review for this campground and forwarding to the owner..it sounds like a real gem!!..with a wonderful, caring owner!!

Paul and Marti Dahl said...

Always looking for a great stay. I'd rather give my money to a CG that goes out of their way to make my stay more enjoyable. I'll use them again and again. This one is going into my list of favorites.

As for KOAs...I Keep Out Always. :c)

Joe and Nancy Conrad said...

I'm always interested in campgrounds that other people have already stayed at. We will be in Georgia next spring so I will add this to our list of places to stay. Thanks

Bob said...

Oh, I thought the first sign was from where you were staying!
I wouldn't be there, that's for sure.
I don't know what exactly it is about KOAs, but I learned early on that I didn't like them. Just couldn't put my finger on it.
I think it was the whole "money grabbing" thing?

Nan said...

John will be sure to stop there.... he's a popcorn addict. Thanks so much for the info about Harvest Moon.

Paul and Marsha Weaver OCT. 17, 2009 said...

We do not stop at KOAs either. Our only exception is when we visit family in Canton, Ohio. There is NOTHING in that area that competes with the KOA so we have no choice. They too have a ton of rules/regulations. The one that is the most ridiculous is visitors can only stay 1 hour without registering; then pay $5...WHAT. That is crazy! We never do it...so sue us!
Thanks for telling us about a great place to add to our list.

Rick said...

Thanks for the great review - looks like a very nice RV Park, one to add to our growing list!

Travels with Emma said...

I too usually avoid KOA's. Good that you found a better alternative.

Jeff said...

Discovered Harvest Moon last year-as you wrote-great place to stay!

Gail Houle said...

Looks like a place we'll have to add to our list :)

Sue Malone said...

I really enjoy reading about RV parks around the country. My list is sooo long, and I have no idea now how I will find them all again when I actually make it back to the south. Guess I need a better list.

Karen and Al said...

I like to read other bloggers reviews of different campgrounds. I find it can be very helpful...if you can just remember where to look!

We have never stayed at a KOA, and I guess we need to stay away from them.

It's amazing how the attitude of the staff can make such a big difference.

We may try Harvest Moon next summer.

Erin said...

Thanks for the recommendation and the stay-away. I think it's time I start a searchable list to find these places when we finally start full timing.

Sweet Meanderings said...

That looks like a nice RV park. I'll have to mark it in my book. How could there be anything negative about a place with free popcorn anyway!
Candy