Snowy Range Pass

Snowy Range Pass

Thursday, December 27, 2018

An art museum and a few sights of DC



28 Sept 2018

I should mention that I worked in DC for three years at Coast Guard Headquarters.  It was the longest three years of my career. We have seen many of the downtown sights but wanted to see some of them again and certainly see the new memorials that were not completed when we left the area.

We took the metro into DC and our exit happened to be adjacent to the Navy Memorial.  We spent a few minutes enjoying it.






Our main goal for the day was the National Gallery of Art Museum.  It is housed in two buildings connected by an underground passage.  The building itself is certainly a work of art. 











We spent time in both buildings.  I always enjoy the amazing works of the old masters.










We really enjoyed the temporary Old Dutch Masters exhibit: Water, Wind and Waves.







This is a painting of the town of Rhenen, where Anneke’s sister lives along the Rhine River.  It is a short walk from her home to the church in the picture, which still stands.






  I admittedly do not really get some of the modern art, but others seemed very interested in it.










After the museum, we did a short stroll around the area before catching the metro home.






5 comments:

Jim and Sandie said...

I worked in DC for 15 years but left in 1995. So much has changed since then. Fun to see some places I have never been.

Nickie and Jim said...

Nice to visit our national treasures, but I'm with ya on art.

Paul and Marti Dahl said...

You're giving me flashbacks for all the years I was stuck in CGHQ in DC. Lots of good, a few bummers. ;c)

Sherry said...

I'm with you on not so wild about modern art. It's hard for me to see the same level of skill as the old masters. Love the picture of you two in front of the blue rooster. Glad you didn't get shut out by the shut down.

Phyllis said...

Guess I join the majority.... don't get that modern art at all.

My daughter lives in MD. She took granddaughters in DC on Saturday. She said WOW! What crowds. The museums would be closed effective today due to the partial shut down. Guess lots of people knew that. They had to stand in long lines as every museum and exhibit.