Snowy Range Pass

Snowy Range Pass

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

The St Louis Arch

We have not had the chance to see the St Louis Arch up close before, but that was corrected on our visit to St Louis while staying in St Charles, MO.  The Arch is currently undergoing some major renovations, but you still can ride to the top of the Arch for a amazing view of the surrounding area. It turns out that to get to the top of the arch, you have to ride in these small tram cars. Each tiny, short cubicle holds five people in very tight quarters.  It is definitely not for the claustrophobic crowd.









Once on the top, the view is worth the ride up, but even here, the tiny windows and odd access made it difficult for some to really see well.  The view in the end  is worth the effort but Anneke was disappointed.















14 comments:

Phyllis said...

I am wondering if they still have the underground museum.

Rick and Kathy Rousseau said...

Been by the arch a number of times but never had te chance to check it out. With Kathy being Claustrophobic I might never get there.
Be Safe and Enjoy!

It's about time.

Ruth said...

We have done the St. Louis Arch as well. It is pretty incredible how they built it and even more so that you are able to take those little tram cars to the top. Looks like you got some good views up there despite the small windows.

www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

Cathi in Texas said...

My husband and I went to the Arch almost 50 years ago. It was one of the scariest experiences of my life! At the top it seemed to be swaying back and forth. I might add that I'm afraid of heights.

Paul and Marsha Weaver OCT. 17, 2009 said...

We really enjoyed our trip up the arch, but boy is that pod small.

Paul and Marti Dahl said...

I think I'll pass on riding those cramped cars in the arch. I've spent enough time in cramped, small places on CG cutters, with 21 other shipmates... ;c)

Bob and Jo said...

Catching up on our blog reading after being without internet for a while. Don't know if I could get Jo up that elevator, heck I'm not even sure I would go :-)

Happytrails said...

Never been up in the arch!! I think I would like to put that on my "to do" list. The view looks nice!!

Wanderin' said...

I didn't know you could ride to the top of the arch. I'm not so sure I'd be able to do that. Oh well, at least I have your pictures to look at.

Sherry said...

I didn't know you could ride up there either. I've never really had a desire to see the arch so thanks for showing it to me. I don't do cities much if at all.

Nickie and Jim said...

Outstanding photos! Especially for those of us who've never been to St Louis to tour the Arch. Kinda dinky windows!

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are having a great trip. I like that I get to enjoy the view without the cramped journey ;) Happy Father's Day!

Laura said...

yikes! I don't know if I could get the nerve. I never knew that it is hollow. Thanks for braving the trip.

Diana said...

Great post! Thank you for your comment on my blog. I've been wondering is I should keep doing it because no one has been commenting! I guess I'll keep going...