Snowy Range Pass

Snowy Range Pass

Sunday, December 20, 2015

Prince Edward Island

This is the  last stop on our 47 day Canadian maritime province tour.  As soon as we crossed the bridge it became apparent that this province was different than the others.  It was not as rugged looking and it was lush green everywhere. Perhaps that is part of the reason it is referred to as the "Garden of the Gulf".  It is driven by a farming economy with lots of rural rolling hills and neat homes and villages.  Our guide would tell us that the residents of the island were obsessed with the condition of their lawns. Farming is the major industry which produces 25% of all the potato production is Canada.  There is also a growing mussels farming effort going and we can attest that these mussels are amazing.  Because they grow them suspended in clear water, they have no sediment in the shells.

The landscape reminded me of the rolling farm land of  upstate New York, where I grew up-just perhaps a bit neater.  Even the coastal areas seem less rugged and wild than Newfoundland.  In any case, it was enjoyable to drive around the country side and enjoy the scenery.









We stopped at a very scenic fishing village and noticed right away the osprey nest by the parking lot.  One or two folks tried to get right under the nest for some reason and while I just missed the unload, the biggest bird let loose with a stream of -let's call it poop- right at them. It was funny to me, if not those folks and I got one picture of the bird ready to fire again, if necessary.  The rest of the pictures were without excitement.
















We soon realized that "Ann of Green Gables" was a big deal here, and we learned the story of the  author's lifelong love of the island at the National Historic site.  I had heard of the book but had not read it.  Here it is an obsession.









 
Charlottetown is the only large city and is where the first Confederation conference was held to unite the provinces into a new nation in 1864.  I have mentioned this conference before, but suffice it to say that it remains an important part of the city's culture including a Confederation learning center and markers and statutes around the city denoting important persons and dates.  "Ann of Green Gables" is also important here with all kinds of souvenirs available based on the book.  We attended the musical of the same name and I can now saw I know the story.  We did manage to see the inside of St. Dustan's Basilica and do a walking tour of the downtown area.












We ended our caravan here and each of the 17 rigs were going separate ways, we certainly enjoyed their company on this very enjoyable journey.


10 comments:

Roadrunner Chronicles said...

Another nice recap of that area. Never been to PEI but I am enjoying your posts and pictures. I like the history and stories. What a beautiful church! And the info on Anne of Green Gables is very interesting!

Erin said...

Nice wrap up to an interesting tour. I know of Anne of Green Gables, but never read the book ... I'll have to make a point of reading it before we venture into that part of Canada. Nice capture of the osprey feeding ... oh and that "other" thing too ;-)

Wanderin' said...

I love traveling to those small fishing villages. They are so scenic plus there's a good chance you just find a place to sit down and have a fresh seafood meal.

Yankeeflyer said...

Nice view of our island. Need to visit the west end where we owned a home for twelve years in Brae next time.

Sherry said...

We absolutely loved PEI. Went there when Carrie was young and had read the entire Anne series. It was a BIG deal. That was before the bridge. Sure would love to go back. Wonderful pictures. I must have missed that you were on a caravan.

Paul and Marti Dahl said...

Okay, we're sold. PEI is officially on our bucket list! :c)

Luci & Loree said...

Anne of Green Cables was a childhood fav of my mothers and me, I was named (middle name) after her (Anne) I buy the book set for all the little girls I become friends with and relatives!!! She was a free spirit and an advocate of women's rights...

Nickie and Jim said...

PEI is a wonderful and scenic province, with lots to see and do. We enjoyed the Confederation Bike Trail, riding on it in several sections. As we rode along, we discovered blueberries and raspberries and had fun picking and eating blueberries and raspberries. We drove Tergel across the 8-mile bridge in a major gale ... something I hope never to repeat. I kept telling Jimmy to "hurry up and get across," vs "slow down, lest we go into the water!" Funny now!

Gypsy said...

A friend of mine from when I lived in Asheville, NC just loved Prince Edward Island and spent time there every year. Seeig your photos I can certainly see why. I would love to be able to see it.

Paul and Marsha Weaver OCT. 17, 2009 said...

What beautiful landscape! The Basilica is beautiful. I just love visiting any type of church!