Snowy Range Pass

Snowy Range Pass

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Port Royal National Historic site

Port-Royal was established by France in 1605 and preceded the settlement of Jamestown by several years.  It was primarily a fur trading post that established a relationship with the natives who traded pelts for European goods.  In 1613, the British destroyed the  outpost and forced the French to move to what is now known as Annapolis Royal up the coast about 20 miles.

In 1939, the government decided to reconstruct this historically significant outpost and create a living site to demonstrate how life at the settlement was in the early 1600's  The settlement had a number of firsts including: the first tended crops, the first staged play, the first social club and the first water mill.


Touring the site, you learn how life in this outpost was lived with the aid of the reenactment staff providing information and answering question about the settlement.  It was a great history of the site and prelude to touring the settlement that replaced it. 

























11 comments:

Sue and Doug said...

great tour..thanks for sharing!
Fort Langley has a Historic site also!!

John Hedges said...

I love sites where actors bring the site to life. I wish more places did this.

Paul and Marti Dahl said...

All that amazing wood working done with just hand power! Boggles the mind. :cO

Peter said...

"Port Royal" ...those were the days when palisades could still deter an enemy from launching an attack. Interesting country you are seeing!

Paul and Marsha Weaver OCT. 17, 2009 said...

Very nice fort. I love reenactments. They bring history so alive.

Wanderin' said...

There are so many things to see. Glad you're having a good time.

Laura said...

I love re-enactment museums - they truly give an idea of what life may have been like.

Jim and Sandie said...

I love exploring old forts and settlements. So much history. Still can't believe how much I didn't like history when I was young and now I find it so interesting.

Erin said...

Living history museums like this one are my favorites.

Bob Carlson said...

Great blog. I look forward to seeing more.

Sherry said...

I've been wondering what happened to you and now I see that somehow I missed this post. I too love living history museums and having lived near Williamsburg for many years, it's one of my favorite places. I can see I would really like Port Royal too. Now if I can just get there.