Snowy Range Pass

Snowy Range Pass

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Good Sam Rally



I am definitely running behind on the blog, as we have been home a week already and still have not completed our journal of our trip to Georgia.  I am behind because as soon as we returned home, we began our role as grandparent care givers to Victoria and Nico.  Our daughter  had to return to her second grade classroom, so we have started watching over our grandkids until Nico is old enough in our collective minds to start daycare.  This is enjoyable but somewhat tiring duty.  It is very clear why young people have children, they have the energy to keep up with them.

Back to our travels in Georgia.  After leaving High Falls State Park, we entered the Atlanta Speedway grounds and were parked by a very well organized parking crew directly outside of turn one.  We were going to share the activities with around 5000 fellow Good Sam members .  








There was a lot of new model RV's available for rubbernecking along with a number of used units.  There was a large Camping World store (owned by Good Sam) along with two additional  buildings full of vendors selling all the latest RV gear they hoped we could not do without.

We sat in on several of the seminars with Anneke particularly enjoying the one by the Food Channel chef Bob Blumer  She even bought one of his books.


We just happened to catch a show by a dog training group called the K9 Kings flying dog show.  It was very interesting and the dogs were indeed well trained.  I fear there is no hope for Halley in that regard.  Her only chance is if they had a category for most spoiled.





The main attraction for us was the entertainment.  The two headliners were The Beach Boys and Vince Gill.  We enjoyed both shows.  On Saturday, the sunset over the speedway was really wonderful. After sundown, there was a nice fireworks display viewed from the grandstands.










This was our second Good Sam Rally and we found both to be well organized and enjoyable.

15 comments:

Luci & Loree said...

Yes!! Spoiled dogs, I don't have the inclination or wherewithal of character I guess to MAKE Luci do what I want her to :(
Kudoes to you for being caring grandparents!!!

Gypsy said...

The Rally looks like fun, but I'm not sure I could deal with the crowds. Nico is beautiful - those eyes are stunning. Dog shows let you know what dogs are capable of doing, but most dog owners are jumping through hoops for their dogs rather than the other way around!

Wanderin' said...

That is most definitely an awful lot of RVs in a very small area. It's even more packed that Quartzsite ever has been.

Sherry said...

WOW 5000, that's way too many folks for me but it looks like you had a very good time. I can sympathize with being behind on the blog. I'm catching up by doing an entire week in one post until I get to now. LOL It's not too hard since we arent' actually doing anything of interest or importance unlike the importance of watching grandchildren.

John Hedges said...

Sounds like you really had a fun time. Couldn't you find anything at the Camping World display you couldn't live without.

Bob said...

Nice to see you had a good time and the weather looks like it was great.
A few too many in the crowd for me too I'm afraid. There was a time when I didn't mind it too much.
Have fun with those little guys.
Love the hair in the first pic too.

Paul and Marsha Weaver OCT. 17, 2009 said...

I think being grandparents, always overrides doing a blog.

I can't even image how one begins to plan an event for 5000 people. Looks like you two had a great time and that is the bottom like.

Gail Houle said...

That's a lot of RV's! I think I would get lost in a crowd that large!

Travels with Emma said...

I think it would sure be easy to forget where you parked the rig in a crowd that size.

Rick said...

What a huge rally - looked like fun and well organized too.

Good on you guys for looking after the grandkids until they're a little older. It's a sacrifice but one that's worth it in the end.

Paul and Marti Dahl said...

So how many of the original Beach Boys are left and do they use walkers? ;c)

Glad you've enjoyed two GS rallies, we have to give one a try some day.

Donna K said...

I sure would have loved to see that dog show. It is amazing what they can do.

I sure hear ya on why the young have the children lol! I did a lot of babysitting when my grands were little and loved every minute but it sure was tiring. Now they are old enough to take care of me haha!!

Laura said...

Sounds like a really good time! I'll have to put a rally like that on my to-do list.

Bob and Jo said...

That is a lot of rigs, we might go to a smaller rally first.

Karen and Al said...

How in the world do they ever park all those rv's? It looks like it could be mass chaos.