The storm is gone with just a few more hours of gusty wind. It could have been a lot worse. We had lots and lots of rain and wind gusts that never exceeded 60 mph. The park shed all the rain without any serious pools of water. Again luck and timing played a big role. The center of the storm moved north well east of us. In hind sight it would have been a big mistake to panic and run to the east. Since south was out of the question, sitting was our best option. We would have had to go all the way to far western New York or even PA to get better conditions that we had here.
Vermont and New Hampshire, where we just were, really got hammered. I read last night that nearly all the rivers and creeks in Vermont are flooding. Montpelier, a few miles from our campground there, may be voluntarily flooded again to save the nearby dam.
I was worried about the trees in the park and lost some sleep over that. Halley also was having a hard time relaxing with all the racket, but she did her best. As it turns out my concerns were not totally unfounded. Walking the park this morning, a huge pine tree at the end of our row came down over night just behind a camp site. Its twin sister is sitting 20 feet in front of my coach. I cannot wait for the wind to completely settle down.
Today will be largely spent trying to determine if we can move to the coast based on conditions after the storm.
We count ourselves very lucky and feel sorry for the folks that have lost so much. Watching the news for areas we have lived in and visited is difficult.